Day 46 10/27/11 – Thursday and Day 47 10/28/11 – Friday


Thursday brings class.  It was another great week.  We talked this week about lesson planning and motivation.  The students all did their own learning styles inventory, it was interesting hearing them talk about their learning styles.  Most of them really identified with their styles and did a wonderful job explaining to the rest of the group what they need as learners.  We then watched some videos of American Teachers doing opening lessons with their students. We discussed what the teachers were doing and why.  Then the students in my class met in groups to talk about introductions they could do to lessons.  Overall it was a great class!

The evening brought Chili Spaghetti, it was like goulash!  So tasty!  It also brought me finishing my first ever fingerless gloves!!


Friday was time in the office preparing for my presentation to Aida's master's courses.  There were two peace corps volunteers that were going to present about specific disabilities so I chose to present on Inclusion.  The greatest struggle I have had in preparing for my course and for presentation has been knowing the culture and norms of the country.  When you are preparing what to teach or share, it really helps to know what is already known as a standard. Or what the culture expects.  I know and understand that it is good for them to exposed to different methods and types of presentations, I am talking more about the meat of what is shared.  For example- how much does this culture already know about inclusion.  It would be easy in America to look up laws and legislation or mission statements and policies of groups on the internet but that is virtually impossible here.  Very little information is accessible and what you do find, many times is outdated.  I have gathered that you have to know someone who can help you or who knows someone...  I am dependent on people because I do not know the language, but I think that it is a culture that you have to depend more on one another to get by, you can't be isolated and as independent. Just an observation...

I had a student come to my office today to talk about her journal.  Last week they had an assignment to write an inclass journal on a topic provided. I assured the students that if I was not sure of what they were trying to explain because of their English, I would not score it but rather give them the opportunity to talk to me about it.  These select few students that this applied to, were allowed to come and talk with me in my office about their journals to increase their score.  This young woman came in and I give her SO much credit for doing so, it is not common to seek out help in this fashion here (as we have seen with the conversation clubs that were started and now have been canceled for lack of interest).   I should explain that my course is in all English - I know- SHOCKER!  The students could select this as one of their electives during their first year and semester at SEE-U.  They were informed it would be in all English.  The student that came today struggles more with English.  My gut tells me that since this isn't an English Skills course, I shouldn't grade them on their English or let it hold them back. (I think this is the accommodating special education teacher in me.  Helping them with English is an accommodation NOT a modification!  :) )  Well the student sat down and I started talking... How about you share with me what you were trying to explain on your journal..... confused look.  I tried a couple other ways and then had to get creative.  I opened google translator and started typing!  I typed what I was trying to explain, google did its part, and the student then read it in Albanian.  Pretty sweet.  She is going to meet with my co-teacher and explain in Albanian what she was writing on her journal.  Problem solved - accommodations granted!

So my presentation - there were actually 3 of us (4 people - 3 presentations) so I volunteered to wait to give mine since we were running out of time and the others had all traveled to Tetovo. What an interesting group of women!  I am looking forward to working more with them while I am here in Macedonia. Each of them is making strides in Special Education in the country. Amazing people!  Here is a picture of us after at dinner.  (the man is the husband of one of the women)


Lesson:   A wealth of knowledge about special education in Macedonia.

No comments:

Post a Comment