Day 25 - 10/6/11 Thursday


Leaving coffee this morning with another professor here on campus- I saw Shakespeare; he is the campus dog. I should explain that he is a stray, so although cute, I do not pet him because of the fear of what he might carry.  There are many strays here in Macedonia, it is actually a problem.  Some people do own pets, but it is very rare.  Being a dog lover, foster home, and rescuer, it is really hard for me to see this.  My mom and I have been talking over the past few weeks about Shakespeare and she and I had agreed that giving him some treats once and a while would be a good compromise! 
 Unfortunately thus far in my stay, I only see him when I have nothing with me, and when I bring something with me I don't see him and then I have to throw it away.  Well today was different!!!!  He started following me from coffee at Evergreen, little white tail wagging (I always talk to him when I see him).  It just so happened that this morning some of my bread had gone hard, I was going to save it for him, but then I thought different because every time I have saved something for him he has not been there and I end up throwing it away.  So I put it in my trash in my dorm room.  Well he continued to follow me almost all the way back to my dorm room. I decided this was my chance!  I went in and got the bread (its a ring like a bagel only with a much larger hole in the middle).  I cam back out with it and he was still standing there.  I tried offering it to him but he wouldn't come up to me to take it, so I tossed it towards him and... SUCCESS  He grabbed it!!!! :)  He proceeded to walk around with it, I could tell he was either searching for just the right place to eat it, or hide it.   He continued his searching, I snapped a couple of pictures, but continued on my way.  As I entered the Language Center, I was able to still see him out of Vesna's office window.... he began digging and hid it underneath a tree.  I am pretty excited about how my day started!  
Right after he grabbed the bread


As he is looking for just the right spot





















I feel as though I should share with you as much of the knowledge I am acquiring as I possibly can... so here is today's bit.  My diplomatic pouches that arrived on Monday had in them folders for me to organize the papers that I knew I would be using for work here.  I was very excited to start organizing my class syllabus, lesson plans etc.  I put the papers into the pockets and closed the folders... but the papers were sticking out the top.  So I did the whole, tap tap tap on the table to make the papers settle in... they didn't budge. So I tried tapping and then using my hand on the tops to give them a bit of help... still nothing.  It was then that I thought, these silly folders are too small - LIGHT BULB - wait.... I took the papers out and compared them to some paper I had from home... Low and behold the paper here is bigger!!!  This brought a whole bunch of new thoughts to my mind- that means printers, copiers... all different.  Wow!  Now if you already knew this information, rather than thinking "Duh, Jen" think back to when you first realized this fact...  WOW!

Today was class session 3 and I had twenty students show up!!  Only 4 more and it would be everybody. Unfortunately prior to their 10 min break, I neglected to say they had to return for their points for the day... so I lost 2, but next week I will know!  Today's class was on Development of Young Learners, things young learners need that is unique to other times in their lives.  Being reflective as a teacher, I think the class went pretty well. The students are getting more comfortable which I think is really good for our group and for their learning. I decided to show vulnerability today and read their names out loud.  Laughter was very present during my attempts at their beautiful names.  I think it was good for them to see that I am learning as well!  I also announced today the opportunity for pen-pals with students in Colorado and Georgia. 14 of them were very excited and signed up, several of them want more than one person to correspond with as well!  Pretty cool!!!

I went to the American Corner this evening and participated (well listened) to Luan Bexheti, who is an actor who was born in Tetovo, and now lives in New York City.  Since I was the only American there, they had him speak in Albanian.  For much of the call one of the people from the American Corner translated for me.  Getting to see this group of people living in Tetovo ask Luan questions about his life in America and his journey to where he is now was really cool.  I am glad I made the trip!

I got a picture of the chicken place as well!!  There is seating if you keep walking, but here is the building and the chickens! 


Lesson: Helping someone (even if a dog) in a culture where you need so much help to live, is very rewarding.

No comments:

Post a Comment