Day 21 - 10/2/11 Sunday


Chicken adventure!!!!  So I decided to take an adventure to buy a chicken today.  All over town you can see people roasting chickens.  I am kicking myself right now for not taking a picture of the place, but I will walk by it many more times, so I will get a picture the next time!  Before going I decided to write down two phrases so I could communicate a bit better upon arrival.  “one chicken”  and “take home”  I wrote them in both Albanian and Macedonian so when the man greeted me I would know which language to use!  He spoke Albanian so I said:  “Miredita, nje pule” (Hello, one chicken) he shook his head, showing he understood and I said: “marre ne shtepi” (take home).  I paid 250 denar (about $5) and was on my way!   It was a really great feeling to know that I can take a little time and get some phrases down and then go get whatever I need.  Hopefully as my Albanian courses start, the planning ahead won’t be as necessary :)

The chicken

the meal :)


I do want to start to share the knowledge I am learning from listening and asking questions.  I want to share today what I have learned about High Schools.  Similar to consolidated schools in the states, students from many surrounding villages come to Tetovo to go to school.  The difference though, is there are more villages around the cities than in the US.  These students ride vans together to and from school.  They also come to school in two shifts. There is a morning shift from about 7am – 1pm and then another 1pm – 7pm.  The students pick one shift to attend.  That’s all my knowledge on that topic for today…

Lesson: A few minutes of preparation can make a difference in the outcome!

1 comment:

  1. Last week I learned that they use shifts in Mexico too. There though each shift is a totally different school, principal, teachers, and even the school name changes between shifts. Apparently due to a shortage of facilities. Is this the case there? Or is it some other reason?

    ReplyDelete