Day 20 - 10/1/11 Saturday


Cassidy stayed today for a big adventure.  I had mentioned that two weeks ago I took a walk with my flat mate Rezehana up what she called a hill, but because I walked it, I called it a mountain.  It was a tough walk for me for two reasons, one the altitude is very different and I couldn’t catch my breath and two, I don’t walk as much as I should back home!  Well anyway on our walk I made it only maybe halfway, but vowed to myself I would make it to the top at some point!  Today was that day!  Cassidy and I  along with the 3 peace corps volunteers here in Tetovo, walked up the hill/mountain to the castle.  I am sure they could have walked it a lot faster than if I had been there, but we made it. Let me tell you it was TOTALLY worth the work for the view!  Once on top we saw, to quote www.macedoniatravel.com:
“This piece of stone history is glooming over the biggest city in the western part in Macedonia, from a hill where one can see a wonderful panorama of the plane of Polog. Fortress with five quarters, big kitchens, spa, big well and three tunnels for exit; built in early 19th century by Abdurahman Pasha. One example of Ottoman all-purpose architecture. This fortress was heavily damaged during the two world wars in the 20th century. Near the fortress, on the very hill Bel Tepe, one can also find the monastery St. Atanasij, which was built in the 18th century. The building of this temple is connected to the building of two more similar objects which bear the same name, those in the villages Leshok and Dzepchishte, both villages located in Tetovo.”

It was a really amazing experience.  Now for those of you who may be planning a trip here… I am okay with taking a taxi next time, unless your heart is really set on WALKING up there.  For a nice walk with less incline, but still some, we can go to Banja as well!
You can see the kale (castle) at the top

Monastery St. Atanasij

Bel Tepe - Ottoman Fortress

Monastery St. Atanasij

Me in front of the Fortress

View of Tetovo to the South off the top

Mountain view

Christian Church at the top

More of the Fortress




















































































The streets walking back into Tetovo
My lunch at Tivoli
After our trip to the top and back down, we ate at Tivoli.  This is the hotel in town as well as an award wining restaurant.  I am excited to go back and try more dishes!  Today it was a lamb meat flatbread sandwich :)

Tonight I get to skype with the Masonic Youth Leadership Conference back home!  I am looking forward to the opportunity as well as hoping to inspire some of them to go out and do something they never thought they could do- like live abroad!

I also am planning on skyping with Cass and Bo tonight so I can watch the HUSKER GAME LIVE!!!!  It will be 2am here, but I believe it is totally worth it!!!!!  GO BIG RED!

Lesson: Walking is good for the soul, the figurative heart, and a healthy heart!

No comments:

Post a Comment