Day 22 - 10/3/11 Monday


Tungjatjeta.  Une quhem Jen, po ti?  Gezohem!  (Hello.  My name is Jen, and you? Nice to meet you!)

I started Albanian classes today- we learned the above statement as well as the sound of the alphabet.  It is going to be a tough language to learn, but I am ready for the challenge. I also have realistic expectations knowing I won’t learn it fluently in 10 months. My hope is to have some conversation ability!!  My hope is to also learn some Macedonian. However my fear is that with my language learning ability (not great) that learning both will pose to be an even greater struggle, but hey, gotta try!

Progress on my first blanket
After work today I went to purchase more yarn, my first blanket is coming along quite well! I was almost out of the yellow color so I needed to get more of that, but while there decided to purchase the beginning of the next one!  When I first arrived at the shop, the people working were not there, so I did a little bit of what we call “killing time”  I went to the pharmacy and bought some more Vitamin C (you’re welcome mom). Then I went to the grocery store to see what options this one closest to the American Corner had for cheese – they have the good stuff!  I wanted to check since I will be spending more time at the American Corner, it will be an easy store to stop at and then take a taxi home!  Just planning ahead.. which I tend to do a lot of.  I may also be a bit of a horder, I try to buy water (big bottles) when ever I can.  I just feel like this winter, it will be nice to not have to walk carrying them, so I started a stock pile! 

In my killing time efforts- I went to the American Corner just to see what was going on. It was actually perfect timing because I was able to sit with the people that work there and start to make some plans for clubs I can run and activities I can help with. For October I will be starting a Kid’s Club for students 3-6 years old, and then a Learning English Through Games for 18 and up.  This will be the plan for October, but if all goes well it will be what I can do the entire time!  I may also pick up a club for 7-12 year olds when one of the Peace Corps Volunteers leaves to go back to the US.  It was great to get to meet with them and get some things in place!  I am really looking forward to spending time with young people in the area as well!


My yarn stock pile!

Following our short planning meeting, I walked back to the yarn store… and they were open!  Check out my purchases!!!   Remember though, most of this will probably stay here and not come home with me, but it will be a good gift to give to people here as thank yous!

Presentation at the American Corner
 I went back to the American Corner and watched a presentation about a High School Exchange program in Macedonia.  It is for a year abroad in the US all paid for.  Last year they had over 600 students apply and go through the process, but only 10 got spots!  There are less families in the United States willing to take foreign exchange students. Here they say it is probably because of the American recession, and although I agree, I think there are more families that could possibly take the opportunity… perhaps that will be a calling when I return…. Getting you all in the US to take foreign exchange students :)

I also received my diplomatic pouches today.  These are boxes of educational materials that I was allowed to send through the embassy.  It was so exciting to open these boxes that I packed 5 weeks ago!!!  I also was able to leave the first installment of information at the American Corner!  YAY for all of those states who sent me information! 

Yesterday’s post had a comment from one of my colleagues back home. Instead of just replying to him, I thought I would share here.  I shared about high schools here and how they go in shifts to school.  Matt shared: “Last week I learned that they use shifts in Mexico too. There though each shift is a totally different school, principal, teachers, and even the school name changes between shifts. Apparently due to a shortage of facilities. Is this the case there? Or is it some other reason?”  
I asked more questions tonight and found out that it is done with all levels, not just high school.  In Elementary school they go in shifts by grade level/year.  I asked about the teachers, and the teachers are different for each group.  I had not seen the post in time to also ask about the principals and name changes. I will will ask that next time!  The reason they do this is also shortage of facilities. They don’t have the buildings to educate all of the students.  Thanks Matt for sharing your knowledge too!

Lesson: How to kill time in Tetovo.


No comments:

Post a Comment