Day 35 – 10/16/11 Sunday



Big day – HUGE!  The coffee maker is great and I found coffee I can drink black!  What a difference this will make in quality of life!  I have not always been a coffee drinker, but as long as I have been, it has always been straight black coffee, no sugar, no milk, no creamer; so moving here has been an adjustment.  I have enjoyed every beverage I have tasted and ordered. However sometimes you just want some black coffee.  This morning I woke up and brewed a pot and it was WONDERFUL!  I am already looking forward to tomorrow morning!

Today was going to be a journey to a village outside of Tetovo, but plans had to change… that just means I get to look forward to the journey another day.  I did however walk to the center to meet a new friend for coffee.  I want to share another difference about the culture here. I have mentioned that going to coffee is very common, this is also true on the weekends.  Many people especially of the 20 – 40 year olds, go out for coffee about noon on weekends and the shops become very full until about 3 when everyone goes home for the family lunch.  I really like this tradition.  It is refreshing to go out and socialize, granted I don’t know people yet to talk to anyone other than who I have gone to coffee with, but everyone around me is socializing which is great to be a part of!  People here seem to have “more time”. I am not saying they are not busy, unemployment is high, which is a difference it is more of a lifestyle choice though than in America.  Most people just make more time to have coffee with friends, stand and talk to people. This is an important part of the culture.

Lesson: I had heard that I would learn this before I left, but take time to enjoy life!

No comments:

Post a Comment