Day 31 - 10/12/11 Wednesday

Today was conversation group again.  This time 3 guys showed up for conversation!  I have to say I was pretty excited. My opinion is that this is such a great opportunity for students. They come and have an hour a week with a native English speaker. Its really great!  We of course didn't stay on topic, but really there are no rules for what we need to talk about.  I also got a lot from the conversation. Although I did not need to practice my English I was able to hear these 3 students' opinions and views about America and Macedonia.  It is moments like this that really enrich  my experience while here.

Vesna drove me to the yarn store again today. I decided that I needed some black yarn to start making hats.  This is my second time getting yarn on my own. Walking back to campus I also stopped at another shop to get safety pins to put the flowers I crochet onto the hats as well.  This was quite an experience.  I searched and searched through the store for safety-pins, hoping that I wouldn't have to ask since I didn't know the word for safety-pin.  I finally had to give in and ask for some help. Unfortunately safety-pin is not a common word... I tried acting it out a bit... not well though.  Then I decided that pictures are universal, so I pulled out my travel journal and drew a picture!  It worked!  She went behind the counter and pulled out some safety-pins!!!  What an experience :)

Lesson: Pictures are worth a thousand words.

No comments:

Post a Comment