Days 1 and 2 in this journey


Arrival in Skopje at Alexander the Great Airport-  All of my flights were very good in the sense that the flight attendants were very nice, there was not so much turbulence that people around me were unable to hold down their last meal, and the people next to me were more annoyed at other folks on the plane than I was!  I really couldn’t ask for more! 

First flight from Lincoln, they had actually overbooked my flight by 1 and I was the lucky 1.  Most people might fret over this but the nice guy behind the counter shared that there was a flight from Lincoln that I would take to Chicago and then go straight to Dulles rather than my current flights that included a stop in Pittsburgh between Chicago and DC.  I really thought that it would be great to have that work out, it would mean a few more hours with mom and dad, and no extra stop.  But the 1 person needed didn’t show up so I was on.  While going through security I had to reduce the number of liquids that I brought with me. This was a surreal moment of choices… the volume spray for my hair and nail polish were the first to go. For some reason I heard in my head my mother’s voice: ‘this isn’t a beauty contest’   It was a moment I did not plan for 1. They actually did the “pick up” test for my luggage and say, “feels good to me” and 2. I had over packed my liquids in my carry-on!!  As Cass said: “Who would have thought!”

In Chicago my flight to Pittsburgh was delayed so it was off to a ticket counter to see what they could do.  A very nice woman named Sue who worked at a United counter helped me switch my flight straight to Washington DC Dulles.  She even called down to a REAL PERSON and explained my bags to the person on the other end so that they would get switched to the correct flight. THANK YOU SUE!  This meant that I had 20 min to travel to another terminal. Sue explained to me how to get there and wished me luck and blessings on my year abroad.  This journey across Chicago’s airport meant two flights of stairs. Mind you, I have on winter boots, am carrying my winter jacket, my stylish carry-on from the Hemmingsens we will call it the ‘cute one’, and the ‘green monster’. I also get flustered in situations where people are behind me…and there was a line of people!  I dragged at first then the cute one fell to the side, and it wasn’t fully zipped (because it was too full). Then I was dragging my winter coat… I felt like a horrible skit on Saturday Night Live, grunting individuals behind me and all.  It was a stressful 15 min, but I made it in time.  By the time I was getting on the plane, I was so hot my face was red.  Luckily I sat by a really nice guy who was actually from Omaha! He immediately saw me coming towards his seat (I sat in the middle of three) and offered to help me lift my green carry on bag that had nearly as much weight as my real luggage, up to the overhead compartment. This could be because I looked like a disaster!  It was nice to have someone for good conversation!  When we landed he also took the green monster down out of the overhead and pulled it all the way off of the plane for me!  He was such a nice guy!!

I got to Dulles with no problems carry-on LUGGAGE and all. I found a bagel shop and got a Philly sandwich, feeling very American in my choice. I sat down and called Cass and my mom one last time.  Side note: It was hard to decide if I should take my cell phone since it would only work that first day of travel, but mom and dad thought it was a good choice, and I couldn’t agree more. Having my mom available to talk was priceless!   I do want to say one opinion I have about the travel in Dulles. It is a very spread out Airport, very clean and well marked, however if flying through you will want to try and not have a short lay over.  I took a Bus that looked a bit like something from an alien movie because it was bus shaped on top, but was very tall with huge wheels so that it was the height of the airport, then walked down two escalators, got on a shuttle, then two more escalators before arriving in the correct terminal.  If I had less time, I would have been in a world of hurt. Austrian Airlines has a policy that your carry-on bags must weigh less than 17lbs, and fit into this little space, they were having people measure and weigh and if they didn’t fit the requirements they had to be checked at no charge.  Obviously the green monster did not fit J  However I lucked out because I am not sure the cute one would have met the weight requirement but they counted it as “a laptop bag or purse”  (Thanks Hemmingsens!!!)  At 4:45pm (east coast time) boarding began on the Austrian Airlines flight to Vienna. It was goodbye America…


On the plane, I sat by a woman that would say fate placed me beside. Her first comment was: “Oh good, you never know who you might have to sit by on these long flights.”  It was comforting to have such a warm individual to sit beside.  We immediately began talking about our journeys. She was on the way to visit a friend for a vacation.  But here is the really awesome part: she has a son with a behavior disorder, and she herself worked as a para educator the past year for a student with autism! It was pretty amazing to get to sit and talk with her.  I watched “Water for Elephants” and really enjoyed it. Then was dinner, pasta or chicken, I had pasta. You could choose ANY beverage that you wanted. I had water knowing that at this point hydration was important. The flight attendants were all very friendly. They wore husker red and teal ties or scarves.  Sleep was difficult even with my wonderful neck pillow but overall it was a good flight.  I also realized that the winter boots that I had not yet worn, were a bad choice… and I could feel blisters.  For weight issues it was good to wear them, I just should have worn them in first or worn socks.  Oh the lessons in traveling!  On the flight breakfast was also served, we had yogurt an apple, and a ham and cheese sandwich. I was not too hungry so I saved he sandwich and apple. (another good lesson I learned- it’s okay to take your food that has been given to you on an aircraft, because you never know what tomorrow brings.)





I arrived at Vienna International Airport  at about 8:30am – Vienna time (1:30am Nebraska time).  I had to go through a passport station- I GOT MY FIRST PASSPORT STAMP!!!!!  The Vienna airport is much like a Vegas hotel with shops all along the corridors.  It was amazing, toys, clothes, bags, sunglasses, fragrances, more clothes, more bags… it was amazing!  They also had a Starbucks.  I decided to not purchase any coffee but instead fill my water bottle.  At the Vienna airport there is a little trick I must share: don’t buy liquid and then go to your gate, you have to go back through security.  They let me pour out my water in the trash. However a really great thing at this point was I didn’t have to take off my shoes.  I knew that my feet were swollen and I was afraid of getting them off but especially getting them back on over the blisters!  Also you go through another passport check and get another  passport stamp J I had a window seat on this flight and I was really excited!  I took a few pictures as we took off, but my eyes quickly won… I couldn’t keep them open. I dosed off for maybe 10-15 minutes long enough to have been passed for a snack L but not for a water!  We then began our decent into Skopje, I took some pictures before our smooth landing at 11:30am local time (4:30am Nebraska time)




Upon arrival you go through a passport check, THIRD STAMP!! She asked where I was going, but that was all. Baggage claim was right behind the passport check.  I knew there was a chance that my luggage had not arrived, since I had switched flights, but I still hoped!  I waited and waited watching all of the people pull their luggage off of the track….waited and waited… then most people were gone, and I decided to get a little closer to where the bags were coming out.  Second from the end there was green monster, but no baggage. Sad.  I went to the baggage claim and after a while we got it figured out, except that I did not have an address for the university- duh jen!! The woman gave me a paper with the telephone number and my code so they would know who I was and told me to call them when I knew for sure.  I then went out to the maid portion of the airport to look for my ride.  He was there with a sign that said JENNIFER BIRDSALL printed on copy paper.  He called the university and had me speak to someone to tell them why it had taken me so long, and I explained the issue with my baggage and he said they would help when I got here.  Although he does not speak English,  it was an enjoyable ride and I think we did a good job making conversation.

When we pulled up at SEE-U (South East European University) I was greeted by my flat mate who works for the Rector.  She took me from there, we went to our room and left my things.  She offered me the opportunity to shower and rest, but I really just wanted to keep moving at that point and get some things figured out.  I went back with her and met several people at the Administration building including the Rector. She then called the dean of the faculty I will be working with and he came to meet me.  He immediately got his assistant to call the airport about my bags.  I met several more individuals in the Language center administrators and teachers alike.  They were all very welcoming and warm!  He then showed to me my office area which will be very helpful to have access to as the semester progresses. The dean also logged me into a computer so I could email to let the family know I was home safe.  By then it was 4pm and the work day was over. I headed back to my room and started to do a bit of unpacking just to get situated.  I made my first and I hope last electricity error, I wanted to plug in my alarm clock so that I could set an alarm to wake up.  I neglected to put the volt converter into the plug converter. It worked when I first plugged it in but it soon quit. I attempted to put batteries into it and there was nothing. I am not going to throw it out just yet, but I am afraid I may have ruined it!  As long as this is my only mistake I am pretty good, now I just need to make sure that it stays that way!  I then took a much, needed shower and then went to bed.  I slept through most of the night, waking up a few times, looking at my nook for the time and doing the math to figure out how what time it is here in Macedonia. But I really did sleep pretty well.





Lesson: This day was so jammed pack with lessons I must sleep! Pay special attention to the airport lessons I learned if you are planning on international travel!!

No comments:

Post a Comment