Day eleven – 9/22/11 Thursday


Today was my first day with students!  The culture of universities is a bit different here. Although class started this week, it was likely that some students would not come yet this week.  We had 11/20…which I thought was pretty good.  The course is Teaching Young Learners.  The university use to be veered more towards teacher training, but in recent years it has become more of a literature university.  There is some discussion about possibly offering more courses in teacher training again.  Knowing this I am a bit inspired!  My passion is teaching, so knowing that excites me.   We played the game 2 truth and 1 lie for a way to get to know each other.  Our class meets only once a week for 2 hours, so more to come next week with the challenges and joys of teaching yet a different group of students!

After work I stepped outside of my comfort zone a bit.  I have been needing to do this, so I was really proud of myself.  Like the other day after work, I again walked with Vesna after work, stopped and picked up Burek (meat this time) and then we went our separate ways. This time I decided to stop at a pastry shop.  The real purpose was two fold, first, do something on my own without a native speaker, and two get my self some more bread to eat all of the yummy treats from Vesna’s family.  I went to Burektore which has a wonderful reputation here in Tetovo.  The people inside were so nice, even paring me with the best English speaker!  I got a small loaf of bread and then a cheese pastry/bread.  I tasted the cheese one right when I got home, because it was still warm- it was SO good!  I was pretty proud of my outing and the hunting and gathering I did all on my own. 

I really have realized this past week that I am a people person. I knew this before, but I guess I didn’t realize to what extent.  I really enjoy being with people, and talking with people.  This journey I am on will be so good for me so that I can learn to be okay when I have alone time; and maybe not just okay- but also enjoy it!

Lesson:  Going out and doing something you were at first concerned about doing on  your own, feels really good!

No comments:

Post a Comment