Day eighteen – 9/29/11 Thursday


Today was my birthday. Thinking about this trip I didn't really think about my birthday abroad and what it might feel like. I mean it is just a birthday, and I am not a kid anymore.  But I feel a bit different here. I would love to be celebrating with my family by going out to eat like we usually do.  But this trip is about experiencing new and different things, and I will go out to eat a lot when I get home. It is these moments where change is hard, but not bad.  I envision Thanksgiving and Christmas to have a different feeling too.  But this experience is only until June and then I will have had the experience of a lifetime


Our second class was today.  More of the students attended than last time, but not a full class yet. As I understand the culture, in years past not attending class right away at the beginning was very common. This is changing some now.  My course is Teaching Young Learners, and will be taught in all English.  I really am impressed that 23 students have signed up for this English taught course- I think they are so brave! As a teacher I am worried about my speaking speed, or my use of idioms or using phrases that are difficult to understand. It will be interesting to see how I grow during this semester as well!


An hour after writing the first portion…..
Well to my surprise at the end of my day- I was walking back to my dorm room and there in front of me were Vesna (who had been in Skopje for work all afternoon) and Cassidy (another fulbrighter living in Skopje)!!!!  Those stinkers had surprised me!  It was so heart warming and exciting to see them walking up the sidewalk!  When Vesna went to Skopje for work she picked up Cassidy and brought her back.  We went to dinner together, at Bela Mia in Tetovo.  I have had on my list of “things to purchase” for a bit now, sheets for my extra bed.  I wanted to get them so that if I have guests they can sleep on the bed.  So it was off to the store to get sheets for Cassidy (great reason to buy sheets). Then it was ice cream for dessert!!  We followed dessert with an art show presented by LOJA a Non-Governmental Agency here that promotes peace and understanding. 
Orthodox Church by the restaurant
Birthday Dessert Ice Cream


















At dessert


The musicians at the art show


















One of the artist's hand carvings



One of the other artists displays- it was a silver color


































What a special birthday this was.  Is it like all of the others I have celebrated in the past, no. But will it always be one of the most special – yes. 

Lesson: Cassidy and Vesna are amazing!

1 comment: