Day Six- Saturday 9/17/11


I have experienced a great deal more about the life of Tetovo today!!   My new friend Vesna, took me “out on the town”.  For this adventure I decided to go ahead and try to wear a pair of my shoes that were better for walking, even though the blisters from the boots have not quite healed. I can tell you now that it was a good choice. The blisters on the heels were all good, and the cushion felt good to the ones on the bottom of my foot!!

The day started with Vesna arriving on campus to pick me up.  She had a bag in her hand… it was filled with home-made treasures!  She brought two types of jam made by her mother and two jars of Ajvar- which is a traditional roasted red pepper spread.  During the month of September, Macedonians (and others around the Balkans) hang red peppers outside of their homes getting ready to make Ajvar.  Making the recipe is something that many families do together.  After roasting, peeling, grinding, and cooking it like a stew (with other ingredients) they then put the spread into jars to be enjoyed throughout the winter.   I am so excited to try each of the jars!! 



It was off to the American Corner in Tetovo next!  American Corners are not just in Macedonia.  The idea of the “American Corner” started with the US Department of state as an initiative started worldwide over 10 years ago.  It is a library style resource center that is in over 365 communities around the world. It is open to the public and is to be a resource to provide understanding between the United States and the people of the community that it is in.  There are resources, seminars, internet access, language courses, exhibits, video conferencing and many other resources.  I am planning on spending time at the corner here in Tetovo.  It was great to see where it is located, as well as meet one of the volunteers. Pictures to come when I go again.

We then proceeded to coffee, sorry I didn’t take a picture of the location, but I am sure we will go there again.  We again got to sit out on a patio area. This time I tried a Macchiato; it is my new favorite for sure!  I like my coffee dark and straight, and so far I have been drinking coffees with more things added to them.   Although it was not straight black, it was really yummy- I am learning so much :)

After coffee we drove to a village outside of Tetovo called Sirichino that is along the Vardar River.  Driving there was an experience as well because we had to drive a curvy road on a hillside. I say it was an experience not because Vesna didn’t do a wonderful job driving, but because it is not like something we have in Nebraska.  The roads that are not a highway are narrower than they are in the US, but most of the cars are tinier as well :)   We ate at Delfina which sat right on the river and was AMAZING!  I have not had any food yet that I have not enjoyed, but this was really awesome!   Check out the pictures- SO MUCH YUMMY FETA!!!!  You see a Shopska salad (tomatoes, cucumbers), grilled bread with feta, and french fries with feta.  We also each had a meat dish.  I had a skewer of pork and Vesna had the hamburger similar to what I had the other night only with cheese…yum!











Following the amazing lunch we went to Vero, a store with groceries and other needs- similar to a Walmart, but much smaller!  Here Vesna assisted me in purchasing items that have made me feel like a REALY human.  On my first trip to Vero, I was not as successful by myself. She helped me find lotion, hair conditioner, antiseptic band-aids for my blisters, paper for curtains in my room, red nail polish since mine didn’t make the cut at the security check (as you might remember I had too many liquids)   and the list goes on and on!!!  I really would not have been able to find all of the great stuff I did without her help! THANKS VESNA!!!

This evening also brought laundry for the first time.  All by hand thank you very much!


 I also hung up my curtains!  I also have tape on the bottom so I can tape them open as well!  Its starting to get more colorful in here!!



Lesson Learned: She believed she could so she did.

No comments:

Post a Comment