Day 16 - 9/27/11 - Tuesday


My workday was not too eventful, still getting into the routine of classes for the students, and work for the professors.  I envision this to change in the coming weeks, and that I will have more to share about the differences and similarities of education between the countries, but for today I will comment on what I like just as much as teaching….  FOOD!

On Sunday, Vesna showed me yet another supermarket! I believe I already spoke about the experience and how I was able to get foods I could cook not just fruit and tomatoes.  Well I have to share one of those purchases- CHEESE:  It is a very tasty cheese, and she shared that is what her family usually eats.  I have now also fallen in love with it!  Before leaving Lincoln, I was eating a lot of goat cheese from the Farmers Markets in Lincoln.  This compares!  Now I should explain my thoughts here- it is not that I didn’t think or even wasn’t sure that the cheese here would be delicious, it is just great to know how to find it and purchase it on my own! 

I also have to show you the pizza I got tonight.  On my walk home from my adventure (explained more below) I decided to go back to Burekt Torre where I got the yummy pastries last week.  I was thinking the must have something I could put with my veggies at home… they had several kinds of pizza, which is a very common food item here.  The guy inside spoke English and I was so grateful – but I would have made do no matter what!  Rather than waiting while they made a pizza- I decided to get what they had prepared. He said, “one or two?”  I said, “two, thanks”  Well as you can see- their slices are not the same size!  Although it was not what I thought it would be in size- I was okay with having some extra!  I have to send a big THANK YOU  to my parents here.  Growing up we were always taught to try different foods even if we thought we wouldn’t like them, because “you never know when you will find your next favorite.”  Some people may have been a bit worried about the toppings on this pizza, and although they were not what I would typically order on my own, I knew I had to at least try it.  I think, after eating it it was pepperoni, salami, mushroom and artichokes; and it was very tasty!  Thanks mom and dad for helping me not be afraid to try new things!

Now to my adventure…  in packing I did pack sheets for my bed, and as it turned out it was very good that they were in my carry on bag.  I am also glad that I packed some. I think the University could have given me some to use, and I know I could have gone to purchase some, but it really was a worry I was glad I didn’t have.  HOWEVER I could not fit a comforter into my bags… instead I put my crochet hooks!  I had mentioned to Vesna that I would like to find yarn here to make my comforter for my bed, as well as other various things as the year progresses.  Today was our journey. After work we walked toward the city square, and met her mother at a yarn shop. It was about 2km from campus. This shop had many selections in yarn, none of them as large as  I tend to buy at home, but many different types and colors!  I purchased red and a yellowish color- Vesna knew exactly what I was doing- Macedonia colors!  I decided if I was going to make a blanket here, it should represent the country.   Although I do not yet speak or understand Macedonian, I could communicate enough to share that I was crocheting and no knitting.  I also agreed with her mother that we would have to sit and work on our projects sometime together!  So tonight I will start – I am very excited!

Lesson: Finding a hobby for the lonely times can make a huge difference.

2 comments:

  1. YEAH for yarn! YEAH for Vesna! YUMMY looking pizza! I yearn for a taste! Cooked with balsamic vinegar and pork tonight.... yummy too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that pizza looks amazing!!! I want to try it. I hope you are keeping track of all the things I want to do!

    ReplyDelete