Day 13 - 9/24/11 Saturday

Adventure day!
Today Vesna was going to Skopje for work and asked if I would like to ride along. I of course accepted the invitation!  I met Cassidy and we went exploring through Skopje.  Our first stop was the old train station, which is now a museum and art gallery.  Upstairs was the art gallery portion. Her is a picture of one of the displays. This artist took pictures from the inside of a mental institution looking out the windows, she then placed the photographs on top of these lit boxes.  Very neat, but also a bit sad; but I guess that is what art does, exposes emotion.
Art Exhibits upstairs
In the other part of the station, was the museum portion. One part was the history of Skopje, with pictures and artifacts.  Then downstairs were the older artifacts from thousands of years ago.  Here is a picture of that area as well.
Museum downstairs old train station
After leaving the old train station, we were about to cross the street when a woman stopped us saying, “Welcome to Macedonia, we are so glad that you are here visiting.” We proceeded to have a conversation.  It was so nice of this woman to say something to us, and she was very kind, but Cassidy and I decided we must really stick out for her to have just been so sure we weren’t from there!
    Walking north from the train station is a very wide sidewalk, like a road that has been turned into a walk-way.  Today was the 100-year anniversary celebration.  There were people all around the area, horse drawn carriages, people in dress from different periods over the past 100 years, bands, and did I mention people?  Here is a picture of the walk filled with people.
Street view of 100th anniversary celebration

We then got to se the Memorial House of Mother Teresa.  Mother Teresa was born in Skopje, but her original house was torn down but the spot where it was is marked in the ground and there is a plaque. Here are the photos of the memorial house and the original location of the house.
Mother Teresa Memorial House
Memorial House
Plaque at Mother Teresa's original home
Markers where her house stood
Our next journey took us to the city center where I got to see the Warrior on a Horse Statue in daylight not rain!  There are fountains all around it, and lights that come shining down from under the upper level in different colors. The statue was just unveiled on Macedonia’s independence day on September 8th, so there are still many people coming to take their picture in front of it.  
Warrior on a Horse
Me in front of Warrior on a Horse
Next came lunch- I had Mediterranean Spaghetti (olive oil and pesto) and Cassidy and I shared the famous cheese fries (it is a feta cheese) the dip that came with it was so tasty- I am going to have to figure out how to create it back in the states!  It is like a little bit spicy ketchup like with red pepper spice.  I am GOING to figure it out exactly though.  I also wanted to post a picture of my drink- Diet Coke Light. I post it not only because of the difference in the name, but to also show something common here in Macedonia (and probably many other places too) all beverages, except tap water, are served from glass bottles! 
From lunch we walked across the stone bridge, and the Vardar River  to an old Turkish Bath that has been turned into an art museum. I took some pictures of the outside, and then inside, including the amazing ceilings!  The artwork inside was very old, and amazing to see. But I really enjoyed seeing the architecture!
Stone Bridge
Vardar River
In the Turkish Bath - now art museum
The ceiling of the museum
We proceeded to the Old Bit Bazaar area. I took some pictures of the side streets. The streets wound all around and there were little shops and restaurants all along.  I found a neat hand painted cup that I am going to use here to hold “stuff” in my room and then I will bring it home as a great memory. It was a lot of fun walking around and seeing all of the people on the streets, in the shops, and at the cafés.  Cassidy, Erin and I also got a tea with one of the shop owners. It was a lot of fun to be with a local at a local café!!  The teas are very small, and many people put sugar in it. I chose to only squeeze a bit of lemon.   After tea we stopped for my first Boza.  It is fermented flower drink, but we had blueberries juice added to ours. It was a really refreshing and tasty treat!  
Side Streets
Side Streets
Side Streets
Boza
Walking back over Stone Bridge- view of Warrior on a Horse
It was an awesome day! And after our adventures, I met back up with Vesna for what became the most “practical” part of my journey to Skopje!  We stopped at the mall and went to Jambo- where I got kitchen towels, silverware, plates, bowls, a bowl for doing my laundry in the sink, and a container to take fruit with me to work!  I actually have REAL stuff for my cupboards at the dorm.  WOW!!!!
Lesson: Listen to the people and don’t just take what you see for granted.

No comments:

Post a Comment