Day 3


Day three: 9/14/11

I woke up (thanks to my flat mate agreeing to knock on my door, since I have nothing with a clock).  I had half of my sandwich from the plane and my apple. It’s a good thing I took those with me! I still did not yet have money to buy food.  I went over to the Language Center and met the dean, we went for a coffee and to make a list of things I wanted to be SURE we got done during the day. It was quite a list but I hoped do-able.   We first stared by getting the dean’s assistant the airport information again so he could check on my bags. Then we went back to the language center and met with the Department Head of English we discussed courses I may teach.  As of right now it sounds like I will co-teach a young learners course, help by doing some lessons in the writing courses, and then work with several of the different instructors and classes as they want a native speaker!  I shared that I would be interested in starting and English club for students so they can participate in my pen pal project. I met an individual who has started several extracurricular clubs here at the university before so as the time comes he can assist me in setting it up.  The dean sent some emails to get me a SEE-U email account and the ability to log on to computers on campus!  Around noon, the same man took me to the city center to exchange money and go shopping.  I felt very vulnerable on this journey as I would not have been successful without him!  He asked the questions for me, told me how much things were when I couldn’t see the register screen etc. I know that I need to learn the language- but this really pointed out to me how quickly I need to do that if I want any sort of successful independence.  On the shopping outing I got Band-Aids for the blisters, towels, soap, shampoo (there was no conditioner) hangers, apples and oranges.  Granola bars or the like did not seem to exist. I will have to see if fruit will be enough for breakfast with my new eating habits. 

All in all, we got MUCH of my list of needs done for the day.  Tomorrow should bring configuring of my computer so I can use it in my dorm and a mobile number J 

The evening brought dinner with one of the other professors in the department who is , from Scotland. It was nice to have a plan for dinner as I don’t yet know what else to do for evening meals… I mean I could go to a restaurant, but as of now that would have to be alone, and I can’t order.

Lesson: Start learning numbers in Albanian or you are in trouble!

No comments:

Post a Comment