Day 8 - 9/19/11 Monday



Today brought the first day of classes at SEE-University.  There were more students on campus and people walking around.  It felt more like the campus had a life than it has, I say this because that is what campus’ should be- a place of life, creativity and learning. I did not leave the Language Center at all during the day today- I was busy meeting with people and getting more figured out for my class I will be teaching; Teaching Young Learners.  This will be a new endeavor for me since I have not taught at a university level before.  But like I shared the other day, “She Believed She Could, So She Did!”

After work I walked with Vesna on her way home.  She showed me a new place to have Burek! She helped me order – which I am so appreciative of right now!  I then walked south to the University and she walked north to home.  I stopped at a little market to purchase some water- I feel like I just can’t have enough water here with me.  The store clerk and I had no common language, even though he did his best trying Albanian, Macedonian, German and even said goodbye in French, I responded with a thank you in Spanish, I felt it was only appropriate.  I have had several moments where I have felt humbled in the past week.  As Americans we learn English and dabble in another language in high school and maybe college, that is unless we take an initiative on our own.  But for most of us in America, we are single language speakers.  The people I have come in contact with so far speak at least 3 if not 5 languages.  It is truly amazing to me!

 












When I arrived back to my dorm, my flat mate asked if I would like to go for a walk. I decided that it would be good for me, and give me a chance to see more.  We hiked up the side of the mountain or hill.  I think they are mountains but many people who live here call them hills.  Now that I have walked up part of one, they are mountains!!







I did not continue the whole way- I am not in the right shape or condition yet. I will keep trying through. I think some of it was the altitude, I just couldn’t catch my breath. But to be honest some if it is that I just haven’t done that kind of exercise! The view was all worth it.  These pictures are looking to the Southeast.  Far in the distance you can see the University.  I also saw an old house on the side of the mountain that no one lived in any more, but it was a neat picture.

 













Lesson:  Take a risk to see what beauty your new backyard can offer.

3 comments:

  1. I want to walk up it a little when I come!! Looks beautiful. I really missed you today- love ya

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome.... thanks! Keep it coming! And have a great trip tomorrow! 143

    ReplyDelete
  3. Finally had a chance to check out your blog, great pictures, such beautiful scenery. Sounds like your getting settled in and are being kept busy. Have a great day!

    Jackie K

    ReplyDelete