Day 9 - 9/20/11 - Tuesday


Work was work today- I really don’t want to take the time to say more about this since I will be working everyday!  Instead I want to share about other events through the day. 

For lunch one of my co-workers from the Language Center asked if I wanted to go out. I of course said yes!  We drove towards the city center, but not all the way to the square and then went off the main road a few blocks.  It was a great little restaurant!  I am really impressed with all of the restaurants and how unique each of them is on the inside!  During lunch I looked outside, and there were 3 goats walking down the street…. Not something you see very often back home!  I didn’t get a picture though. Sorry!
Skopje City Square

After work it was off to Skopje to meet up with my other Fulbright friends to spend the night. We have a meeting in the morning at the US Embassy.  Unfortunately it is very rainy so it is not great for pictures, but I still took some!   


Another statue in the square






Lizzie and I in the rain near the city center









Warrior on a Horse in the City Square- Skopje


Looking towards the old train station

We actually went to dinner at a Mexican restaurant!!!   It is the only one in the city and it is called Amigos… but not like our Amigos… more like a Mazatlan or El Torro. However, there were no complimentary chips served.  Oh well…

The greatest challenge I was looking forward to today was transportation.  The original plan was to take what is called a combi from the university into Skopje, which is about 40 km away. (similar to going between Lincoln and Omaha, but a bit shorter and with tolls)  The combi’s are vans that are run by private companies. They wait in designated areas, and then wait to be full, and then drive the people that have gotten on between the two cities.  It is cheaper than taking a taxi and can be more convenient than a bus- if you know what you are doing which I didn’t….  Anyway I was going to ride it with the dean from my faculty and he was going to show me how to get along so I knew for next time.  As it turned out we got a ride with another university employee- there are many people that drive back and forth.   This lesson will have to be for another day.  But at least I have now traveled to the city and have a better understanding of where my friends are, and how to get there.  The combi lesson will have to be for another day…

Lesson:  Toms brand shoes dry… maybe not in less than 12 hours, but they dry!
 

1 comment:

  1. Your artistry comes out in these awesome photos! Whether nature or nurture it is there! WOW! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete