Day 190/193 -Monday - Thursday- 3/19-3/22/2012

Spring has definitely sprung here in Macedonia! The air feels fresh, the sun is shining and there are bits of green popping up all around, including on the mountain-sides. There is still snow up on the tops of the mountains, but the river that flows through Tetovo, was running fully and fast with the melting that has started.  It's almost ironic though...because the city doesn't always have running water, but the river is full. 

Monday I had the honor to assist in interviews with the US Embassy for the Benjamin Franklin Transatlantic Fellow Program. This is a month long conference that will be held this summer in Washington, D.C. Students from the U.S.A and Europe, Eastern Europe, and Eurasia come together and discuss and learn about democracy and civic engagement through workshops and discussions. It is an amazing program that gives High School Students from around the world to learn together and from one another. It was my honor to be a part of the committee and meet 6 amazing youth from around Macedonia. 

The Language Fair is getting closer and closer... Friday should be the big day! It is a bit of a buzz around campus this week. The Academic English students are preparing their booths with brochures, posters, and power point presentations. I really cannot wait to see what they all come up with!

I feel the need to document the way I dry laundry here... after soaking and washing my clothes in a bucket in the sink...after scrubbing with my hands... after rinsing, wringing, rinsing, wringing and wringing some more... the clothes are put out to dry. I do not have a clothes line here at the dorms so a different plan is needed. This winter I would wash enough clothes to dry them on the heating units in the dorm, but now that spring has come the heat is not on like it was so I have resorted to group drying.  3 dresses, one bucket to catch the drips and you will have dry clothes by morning!  This process has created another moment that I will remember with a smile, but will also help me not take little things for granted!




Lesson: You can see the hope in the eyes of students with a dream.


1 comment:

  1. Well... I guess that its better than washing your clothes in the nearest creek... LOL Just think how strong your hands and arms will be.....HAHA
    I am looking forward to hearing about the Fair... I want a full report!!!!

    Love,

    Yo Daddy O

    ReplyDelete