Day 180 Thursday 3/8/2012

Today was International Woman's Day.  A day to celebrate the amazing women in our lives.  Here in Macedonia this day was recognized with a bigger celebration than I am use to back home.  Celebrations include, cocktails (appetizer buffets, fanta, coco cola, etc), gifts, women going out together, and much more.  Here at SEE-U a cocktail was held for female staff members. It was a very nice cocktail with the typical delicious food.  Each woman was also given a beautiful flower (mine is above) from the university. I thought this was a wonderful celebration and way to recognize women. 

After work my roommate, Rezehana, invited me to join her at Tivioli with some of her friends.  The restaurant/hotel was having live musicians and singers to celebrate the evening.  I happily accepted her invitation.  We got to sit very close to the musicians.  The music was traditional Albanian Folk music, and although I did not know the songs, it was great fun to listen.  As I sat and listened I imaged what songs might be played at something like this in the USA.  Everyone at the restaurant was singing and clapping, so I figured it would be something like classic rock or oldies in the USA that might inspire this same enthusiasm. At first many were enjoying the music with just those sitting around them, clapping, and doing some dance like moves while seated, but then a song came on that inspired a bit different reaction, people started getting up and dancing the traditional dances.  I joined, with a bit of coaxing from the women I was with, but I am so glad I did.  There was not much room in the restaurant, but we found a way to fit around and between tables to make the line.  We also had delicious food, which was no surprise being at Tivoli!  The dancing, singing, and enjoyment lasted well past my bedtime, but it was a wonderful time!

Enjoying the music while still seated
  

The musicians
Dancing- it is typical to have acloth in your hand at the beginning and end of the line

More dancing!
My roommate and I

Lesson: It is good to step out of your comfort zone, dance!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a wonderful celebration of women. I believe we should adopt that tradition in Lincoln.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great celebration!!!!! I would not have guessed that this would have been such a great
    event!!!! This is just so cool....and what great food too....LOL...

    Love,

    Dad

    ReplyDelete