Day 176-179 Monday – Wednesday 3/5-3/7/2012

 This was quite the eventful week!  Classes went as usual, but I had the privilege of starting to teach a Skills 4 writing class on Monday!  The students in my class are majoring in English in the Languages, Cultures, and Communications Department.  I am really looking forward to working with this group of students!

Tuesday brought my Albanian class, yes I am still trying to learn some Albanian.  But this semester I have also started Macedonian. Some may say that it’s a little late, but I think anything I learn even if in the last half of my time here, will be good for me!

The snow has almost all melted…only places where there were large piles is there still traces.  After the warm weekend I am not surprised. The air feels different…but I know better than to get too excited, the forecast is a bit different at the end of the week.



Wednesday was Albanian Teacher’s Day.  A recognition was held at the University, but I was in class and could not attend.  However I was able to go to a master’s defense on autonomous learning.  I had the privilege of working with the now master’s recipient during her process of writing so getting to be there and celebrate with her was wonderful.  She also invited me out to dinner following with her family.  It was a traditional Macedonian restaurant in Tetovo that I had not yet been to.  The first course consisted of two different salads, first the copped cabbages and carrots with an oil on them and the other was the shopska which is tomatoes, onions and cucumbers with parsley and oil, then covered in shredded cheese.  Both of these salads are very traditional and start most meals.  Along with the salad bread was served, grilled and covered in shredded cheese as well.  The main course was a meat tray with chicken, beef, hamburger, meat rolls with cheese and vegetables inside, and then french fries piled in the middle; this was also very traditional.  Although I have no Macedonian knowledge and could only understand some of the conversations, the ones in English, it was so enjoyable.  Being around her family made me a bit nostalgic though… I will treasure my first meal with my whole family when I return!

Unfortunately I had to leave the celebration early, but it was for good reason, I was off to the American Corner for some English Games :)

Lesson: I have always known that much of communication is done without words, but now that I often do not speak or understand the language being spoken, I can really see how true that is.



No comments:

Post a Comment