Day 187 - Friday - 3/16/2012

Today I became a 4-country ballet attendee!  Thanks to my parents and grandparents I was able to go to many theater performances growing up.  I always looked forward to getting to go to the theater, and then for days after I would relive it over and over again in my mind… Since coming on this journey I have gone to a ballet in Croatia, Slovenia and tonight Macedonia. Along with three of my girl friends here in Macedonia we were off to the Macedonian Oprah and Ballet Theater for a performance of Swan Lake.  I had never seen Swan Lake in my years of theater performances so I was especially excited to attend.  The theater was very modern…inside and outside the theater there were amazing angles and lines we took a few pictures inside. The seats on the inside were not straight rows, they went down at an angle towards the middle and then the middle isle went from the center in the front to the back corner. It was very unique to say the least.

The ballet was wonderful… but I didn’t expect anything less. As a former dancer, I did at times finding myself noticing the differences in the techniques that these dancers had learned and what I was taught as a student.  We also had wonderful seats, we were 2nd row behind the orchestra… WOW!  Besides how amazing it was to be at a ballet and Snow Lake, one of my favorite parts involved the four girls all under 12 years old that were sitting in front of us.  It was the first act and the famous part when the four swans dance together in unison across the stage, the moment the four dancers began, the four little girls in front of us simultaneously sat straight up in their seats and leaned forward towards the stage. It was a most precious moment…they were experiencing the same thing my parents and grandparents had given to me as a child. It was one of those life is a full circle moments.

Inside the theater
Looking back in the theater
In our seats!
After the ballet we went out to a traditional Macedonian restaurant in Carsija (Char-she-uh).  It was a cute tiny restaurant with 6 booths.  We also ate in the traditional Macedonian style ordering a Shopska salad to start, and then other dishes to share- they included ajvar, cheese, kebabs, Tavce Gravce (Tav-chay Grav-chay) a traditional bean dish… all so delicious!  It was such a wonderful night on the town!

At dinner
At dinner

Lesson: The arts are a universal language.



1 comment:

  1. What a wonderful evening!!! And it sounds like a great little restaurant!!!! I can't hardly wait to experience the culinary delights of Macedonia!!!!! LOL

    Love,

    Yo Daddy O

    ReplyDelete