Day 167 - Saturday Clubs 2/25/12

Today was club time at the American Corner again. I know I have said this many times, but I love getting to do clubs!

With our Valentine's Day Club getting canceled because of snow, I decided to keep the same activities so the kids got to celebrate Valentines Day!  For kids club this meant making Teddy Bears out of hearts, crowns decorated with stickers, and reading a book about Hearts. The kids in this group are so much fun and so interactive! They are also more comfortable talking. Although I do not speak enough Albanian to understand much of what they are saying, they aren't so nervous to TRY to get me to understand! They also have started repeating things that I say in English. If I say "Way to go" they repeat "way to go" or "That looks great!"  they repeat "that looks great".  It is a very obvious reminder to me of how much children pick up on our actions and things we say!

Stapling crowns!
more stapling!
We were working hard!
Our finished products!
I had a surprise when I arrived at the American Corner, the TV news station was there to do an interview!! They wanted to know about Kid's Club and our activities as well as the other clubs that I have the honor to lead at the American Corner.  Since the language isn't English, I was told to just talk about the clubs, tell what we do, how I feel about it, and why it is fun.  I don't have a TV here so I was not able to see how it turned out... 


After Kid's Club was English Club. The plan again was to do the Valentine's Day Activities. I was happily surprised to have over 40 kids there this week! The place was PACKED!  There were not even enough chairs for all of the people.  The plan was to do the Valentine's Day vocabulary and then make conversation heart wreaths, followed by a game. WELL, when they saw the crowns from the younger kids, they all wanted to make them too! Who knew V-Day crowns would be such a hit! We did play pictionary when the crowns were complete :)

Valentines Day Vocabulary
Learning new words!
The group outside at the end!!!
Lesson: You can learn from a child any day, any time, anywhere and in ANY language!

3 comments:

  1. Kids are like sponges, they soak up every thing that they are exposed to.. Very fun and amazing.... What a great group!!! And what a great problem to have... So many kids, not enough chairs.....

    Love,

    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go.....that is sooooo cool Jen. I love getting to see all the fun things you are doing with the kids, an they all sound so darn cute.

    LOVE YOU

    Cass

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really great post, Thank you for sharing This knowledge.Excellently written article, if only all bloggers offered the same level of content as you, the internet would be a much better place. Please keep it up!

    ReplyDelete