Day 188 - Saturday - 3/17/2012

The day of the Irish :)


We started the day by walking through the Bit Pazar or Old Market of Skopje.  As we were walking my purse strap broke. But we were in the best place for this inconvenience!  All throughout this area of Skopje there are little shops of all kinds, and several shops that repair clothing. We entered into the next shop we came to that had the possibility to help.  I was in luck the man inside was very helpful and repaired not only the broken strap, but also re-enforced the other 3 in the same way.  As we were standing there, I remembered that my belt could use a few more holes… so we asked about that too, and without any hesitation he punched 4 more holes!  He was such a kind man. He also said that since we were students we didn’t need to pay. This really touched me because, I know how little people live on for income here, and for him to give his time and resources to me and was offering for it to be free. (That wasn’t okay with me though, I had to give him at least some money)

We continued our journey through Bit Pazar and then to Plastic Alley… a road with lots of shops with home wares and goods. Cassidy and Erin were able to find new dishes for their apartment. Very successful trip!  As we walked back towards the center we walked by a mosque I had not seen before. I took a few pictures of it. I am not sure you can tell, but the one picture has the mosque in it, and in the background you can see another mosque and the cross at Vodno. Pretty amazing site- reminded me of what a diverse country I live in.





For lunch we had a VERY special treat!! A new Thai restaurant has opened in Skopje, and the even better part, is it is only a block and a half from Cassidy and Erin’s place!  I will say that it was good, but the Thai Food in Prilep is still better- that place is amazing :)  Today I had green curry with vegetable and shrimp and sushi!


Since it was St. Patrick’s Day we had to go and celebrate somewhere. Since it is not a holiday celebrated in this country, we decided to go to the Irish Pub because we knew there would be others wanting to wear green and celebrate as well!  I didn’t get to have corned beef and cabbage, but it was still a wonderful time with friends!



Lesson: There is great beauty in diversity.




1 comment:

  1. Jen, I hope that we have a chance to go this market. It sounds like it would be a great shopping excursion..... The sushi and dinner look delicious!!!!
    Imagine Thai and Irish in Macedonia????? .... I think that there might be a future in Mexican cuisine over there,what do you think???? LOL

    Love,

    YO DADDY OO

    ReplyDelete