Day 153 – Saturday 2/11/12

Well- the snow didn’t stop and we now have another 10 inches or so this morning… this is some pretty crazy amounts of snow!  Despite this, Lizzie and I got ready to go to the American Corner for Kid’s Club and English Club. 
The snowfall on the phone booth again!
Daylight picture of the gazebo
Outside my room, notice the snow is higher than the step!
Out my dorm window
The apple trees

Knowing the conditions outside, I wasn’t sure how many kids we would actually have, but we trekked to the center anyway!   For Kid’s Club we only had 1, and it was Linda and Artan’s daughter Adora, who had helped me plan the Valentines Day activities for the kids.  Together we decided to save the activities for when the other kids were there. So we played some cards together instead…but about half way through our time, we decided that we would go ahead and make the crowns… we just couldn’t help ourselves! 
Lizzie, Adora and I with our Valentines day crowns!

Following kids club we have English Club…again it was a small group so we again decided to play cards. We played the game of Spoons and had a GREAT time.  The kids learned the game very fast and became experts! 
Playing sppons!

Before leaving the corner we took a few pictures of the snowfall!


Lizzie in the snow

Me in the snow


After clubs Lizzie and I stopped at a little Doner Kabab place that we often stop at on Saturdays…as I am typing this I am realizing that I don’t have pictures of it… next time I will get some!  We were heading to Skopje for the weekend so we had to get a combi (van) that would take us.  Combi’s are a very common mode of transport here- it is the way to get to the surrounding villages and a way to “carpool” throughout the country.  Lizzie and I went to the “spot” where combi’s meet to go to Skopje.  We got in the van, and there were 2 other people in it… the downside of combi’s is waiting for them to fill.  Today we waited over 30 min, but we had good company and funny combi guys to entertain us!   I know that Tetovo gets more snow than Skopje, but it was amazing to see the accumulation dwindle as we drove to Skopje.  Tetovo has over a meter of snow, but Skopje only has a few inches.  

We came to Skopje to attend a fundraiser put on by the International Woman’s Association for an animal shelter in Skopje.  I was really excited to find a way to support animals here in Macedonia! We were excited to go out with friends, and it was for a good cause as well.  The location was the Irish Pub in Skopje…I think we will be adding this to our list of places to go to eat… we had eaten at the Mexican Restaurant in Skopje- yes I said, THE, there is only one.  But after seeing some of the food at the Irish Pub- it is on my list to go back to!  There were lots of people in attendance, and it seems that there was a lot of money raised for a great cause.  There was also a live band playing lots of popular songs in English like: Journey, Mustang Sally, No Doubt… it was quite the great time! 

Lesson: Girls nights out are fun in every country!!
Part of Skopje 2014 project- the Arch is done
Some of us girls!
Nevenka and I 
Lizzie and I
The bridge in Skopje




3 comments:

  1. Great Crowns, and good friends!!!! The snow, I am sure is a pain, but very cool at the same time! Irish and Mexican in the same town..... I am surprised at the diversity of the restaurants over there.... Whats to drink at the Pub????? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love, DAD......(Continued)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good thing that you got a good Pic of the Gazebo before it was to late......

    Dad

    ReplyDelete