Day 219 - Tuesday 4/17/2012

Back to my somewhat real life, my temporary real life of now!  I got creative with my laundry upon return from the trip. I had a lot of it to do, and didn't want to drag it out all week. So I took some yarn, tied it across the room and got to work!


I was able to go to Bosnia/Herzegovina this weekend because the University was closed for Orthodox Easter.  The Orthodox faith celebrates both Easter and Christmas but their calendar doesn't have them falling at the same time as the Protestant/Catholic one. Orthodox Easter lasts 40 days and includes fasting.  Another similarity is the dying of eggs. However in the Orthodox tradition, the eggs are dyed only red. It is to represent the blood of Jesus that was shed on the cross. One of the students that works in the LaRC where my office is located, is Orthodox and today she brought me a Red Easter Egg. It was so special to be a part of her tradition and celebration.

Lesson: Today I was able to reflect on the similarities and differences of religions. The common factor in ALL religions, Love One Another.

1 comment:

  1. How cool to get to take in and learn about all these customs and knowledge through experiencing and living it !!!!!!!

    Dashura,

    BABA

    ReplyDelete