Day 92 Sunday 12/11/11


Took it pretty easy today- we were all a bit sore, some of us more than others.  We went to a very late breakfast, lunch by most standards.  It was then that we all began departing ways to head back to our respective cities.

Today’s mode of transportation for me was the bus.  It was very full when I got on at the center, and we picked up more people on our way out of town.  Riding a bus has its own social rules, and whether they are the same or different throughout the world, I have not had much experience in my lifetime!  I know that it is kind to stand up and offer your seat to someone who is older or injured.  But what do you do in Macedonia when you are a young woman, and it is another young woman, or a married couple only a few years older? I decided that I stayed in my seat in those situations especially with 4 bags of stuff.  But when a father and son got on the bus and looked as though they were going to have to stand for the ride, I started to re-evaluate.  Right when I was going to stand up, the two young men sitting in front of me stood up and gave them their seats. It was a different situation than I am usually posed with at home.

I do have one more thing that I have to share, because I am pretty excited!  I have a white jacket here that I tried to clean with some powdered detergent.  Remember I do ALL my laundry by hand and in the sink.  The powdered detergent had some colored granules in it and stained my jacket!  I was not so happy, but began the problem solving to find a solution.  I found some liquid soap with bleach and decided I would give it a try today.  After 3 loads of laundry, I rinsed out the jacket and IT ALL CAME OUT!  I have found a stain remover!!!

Lesson:  If you wonder what the culturally correct thing is, error on the side of kindness.

No comments:

Post a Comment