Day 89 Thursday 12/8/11


St. Clement of Ohridski Day was today! It meant no work for all people in Macedonia.  My work schedule has kept me busy and a bit tired (which I am very glad about it means I am being put to good use!).  I took this morning as an opportunity to sleep in a bit and not be in a morning rush.  Cassidy came to Tetovo to go to a well-known and well liked tailor in town.  She is getting a five piece tailored suit for under $150 US dollars.  Pretty awesome!  After the business portion of the visit to the tailor, we went to coffee with the man making Cassidy’s suit.  We talked about owning a business in Tetovo and Macedonia.  He mentioned that business was good, but it is hard to make a living because of all of the regulations and taxes.  He said he tries to follow the rules and regulations, but that means he gets more inspections and taxes.  But the businesses that don’t register don’t have the same inspections or taxes.  It makes it harder to follow the rules/laws than to be an illegal business.  Getting to have these talks with locals is when I learn so much about the country and people.

We also ventured out to the Market that happens on Thursdays in Tetovo. I had not yet been to this market.  It was at the base of the mountains and right by the Muslim Cemetery.  There were fruits, vegetables, homemade honey, clothing, makeup, shoes, brooms, household goods, and much more!  I will have to make a point to go back again… it just may have to wait until I don’t work again since it gets dark so early.
A house near the market I thought was pretty

The market

The market and the Kale at the top

More of the market




Walking back to my dorm, the sun was shining on the mountain tops covered in snow. It was so beautiful.  The sun had dropped behind the mountain so it was dusk, but it still shone on the top of the mountain that peeked over the others.


Lesson: Through many facets of my life I have experienced the importance of people to people interactions.  I am reminded of this every day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment