Day 229 - Sunday - 4/29/2012 - Kotor Day 4

It was back to Kotor today! I really enjoyed having more days to relax and enjoy this area. Over the past few months, some of my trips have been shorter. Since time is short, and I have responsibilities here in Macedonia, I have not spent as much time in some countries as I would prefer. My mom put it really well, I am getting a wine tasting of the Balkans, and some day I can come back for the entire bottle...meaning I am getting to see all different places and learn about them, but not enjoying them like you might the entire bottle of wine. But this trip has felt not so much like a whirlwind trip. We have gotten to enjoy a great deal more. Today was one of those days, a day we can enjoy the town. Erin and I set of towards Old Town. On our walk, we saw the next cruise ship arriving in the port. Kotor is a very popular stop on the Mediterranean Cruises.  My grandparents use to go on cruises a lot, and I always thought that it would be fun.  After this trip, I can’t wait to do cruises in the future with friends, significant others, and family. 

Cruise ship arriving
On the walkway by the bay!

For lunch Erin and I stopped at one of the many cafes in Old town. We shared a salad and pizza.  We ordered a prosciutto pizza because the area is known for their prosciutto. It was definitely a good choice, the pizza was delicious!!

Lunch- salad and prosciutto pizza
We spent the day stopping in little shops throughout the old town. Found some souvenirs that we could not live without.  Then decided that it was time to scale the fortress walls!  There are two places in Old Town that you can start the walk up the walls. We decided on the most northern one.  The woman at the gate was so kind she let us take the journey for free. The walls had stone stairs and rocky paths as we went up. I am not a hiker, but when I saw nuns walking back down, I figured that I could handle it too. We reached the church at the top.  There was a group from Croatia that was there, they looked to be college age or 20 something’s. They were obviously on some sort of mission trip or church trip, because the group broke out in song after their group picture.  It took me back to all of my mission trips growing up. After the church we decided to walk to the next lookout area. There we took a few pictures and then decided to wait for the sun to set to get a few more.  It was well worth the wait! 

Walking up to the fortress walls

Looking up the mountain side at the fortress we were about to walk

Church part way up

Looking out at Kotor- that is the church

Erin and I

The walkway and old town

Stopping for a photo opt!
Sun setting on Kotor

Tops of Old Town buildings with the cruise ship in the background

Old town buildings with the mountains
setting sun

After the walk up we met Lizzie and Justin for some dinner. We chose this restaurant in one of the alley ways in Old town. WHAT A GOOD CHOICE!  I had ordered pasta last night, but I really wanted some without the tomato sauce… they were very accommodating and made it for me. This was one of my favorite meals while in Montenegro. While we were enjoying our dinner the power shut off in all of Old Town.  We were not sure what happened or how wide spread it was.  But the locals were not really reacting, so we decided all was okay and that we had nothing to be worried about.

Candle on our table
The side alley where we sat for dinner
My delicious dinner!



Lesson: There is something to be said about being able to have a relaxing day by the sea!



1 comment:

  1. Great Food with a view!!!!!! Nice Fortress!!!! You wouldn't think of a Cruise Ship in that setting.... Very INteresting!!!!

    Una te dua,

    BABA O

    ReplyDelete