Day 226 - Tuesday - 4/24/2012

Today I had the pleasure of speaking in a class of students in the Languages Cultures and Communications department. They are taking a class on the History of North American Culture.  Most of these students want to become teachers or translators in the future. I was asked to present about inclusion.  Sometimes I struggle with presentations, I don't usually feel like I am an expert enough on topics to be the one sharing.  But I also understand that is part of what I am doing here, sharing my knowledge. I also have come to realize that I don't have to have all the answers or be the best expert at a topic, me being from the United States is unique enough that what I have to say can be beneficial.  During my time here I have presented on many different topics from communication to writing a personal statement, to the Ford Motor company and education.  Today's presentation was something I have more experience in.  Inclusion is related to teaching...and that is something I know more about than some things!

I shared with the students about Inclusion, its history in the US, what it is, how it is implemented and how it is a philosophy not a program.  After my presentation portion, I had some discussion questions.  These questions included how can inclusion become part of Macedonia and what is something you learned or something you will take away from this presentation. I was impressed with the students honesty and thoughtfulness.  Special Education does not exist in the schools as we know it in the US. Students are often kept at home or put in separate schools than their peers. Many of the students talked about how hard it is to make change.  We talked about Martin Luther King Jr. and how the change he started didn't happen over night, it was a lot of little tiny steps that turned into a movement. It felt to me that many of these students feel somewhat helpless about their future, and that breaks my heart. I know they are not alone in this world with these feelings. But I can honestly say that it is not a feeling that I have known first hand. Today will have been a success if I was able to plant a seed of hope and encourage them to inspire change.

Lesson: Change is not always something you see right away or in a obvious way. But that can't hinder us from continuing to try.

1 comment:

  1. It sounds like you planted a seed that day Oak Tree!!!!!

    Una te dua Vaja,

    Dashura,

    Yo Baba O

    ReplyDelete