Happy Thanksgiving!! Day 73 and 74

 Being in Skopje there are some shopping opportunities that I do not have in Tetovo. One of the main differences is a large supermarket a block and a half from Cassidy’s making big purchases without a taxi possible!  It also means a huge new Vero!  Today was a day of shopping for more items for Thanksgiving.  Prior to going I looked up the names of the spices I needed in other languages (I had learned from the day before).  Great news- I found both Sage (or in Italian – Salvia) and Thyme (which was labeled Thyme).  This meant my stuffing and carrots would be made to the recipe no really significant Macedonian changes!  (Unlike Cassidy’s green bean casserole- she had to make her cream of potato soup, no cans of that!)  We also went to a green market with Anjeanette and Daniel to pick up some produce. 


Later in the day I was able to skype with my friends Ashley and Becki back home!  Together we booked them tickets to Macedonia for Spring Break!  I am so excited to have them come. Its not Cancun or Paris, but it will be an opportunity they may not have ever had otherwise!  I am already making plans for places to take them.


preparing the stuffing
When we woke up on Thursday morning, it was time to start the cooking!!!  Cassidy and I had a plan to start a few dishes here before Anjeanette came to pick us up.  Cassidy started the cream of potato soup for her green bean casserole, and her apple pie.  I decided to make the stuffing in the morning but to make the carrots at the Pout’s house.   I had left the bread sitting out for over 24 hours to get good and dry (no going to the store and buying Stove Top Stuffing Mix!!!).  I started breaking the bread while the onions and celery were on the stove.  Cassidy had to help because the bread didn’t break as easy as I thought. The recipe suggested using a rolling pin, we started with our hands, and then changed our method to crushing it with whatever we could find, I used a Vitamin C pill tube :)   I was able to get all of the pieces and parts together, but the taste test would come later…
Cassidy found an apple core remover




















Anjeanette came to get us and we rushed around getting our stuff all packed, apple pie, green bean casserole, stuffing, carrot dish makings, computers, cutlery, and so on… bags upon bags in tow, we were off to Thanksgiving. We spend the afternoon with the Pout family playing games, snacking on microwave popcorn, laughing, and we even found a web cam of the Macy’s Thanksgiving Parade!  By 6pm Lizzie and Justin had made it to Skopje from Bitola and it was time to eat!  I have to say that we all did a pretty good job of recreating the holiday meals even though we didn’t have all of the pieces and parts… you wouldn’t have even known the meat was chicken unless someone had told you!   I am so thankful for this group of people. We were brought together because of only one reason- we were chosen as Maceodnian Fulbrighters, but now we will be forever linked because of the memories we are making together!
Playing games

posing with our snack during the game
in the kitchen

The table

The finished Stuffing
My plate- looks familiar

The desserts - pumpkin roll and apple pie

The table
Enjoying conversation after the meal

Lesson: Today was about making new memories and sharing traditions, I am thankful for all of the opportunities I have been given in my life, including this journey to Macedonia. 

No comments:

Post a Comment