Day 60 Thursday 11/10/11


Midterms are this week.  Now it is important to understand there is a great difference between practices in the universities and people here than there are in the states.  In the past it was common for students to buy course materials and then show up and take the final and then could pass.  They were also given many opportunities to take the test.  This has changed to some extent… As you know, I didn’t have all my students for the first couple of weeks.  It was expected in the class to complete the 3 journals, mid-term, and final to be able to pass.  I would be the first to say that the American education system is not the best, and that improvements can be made for sure.  However it has been quite an adjustment to get use to this different way, and maybe because it is the way I knew first, I think the American system provides a more complete education as far as all of the skills go, however, I am comparing that to the system I know… so maybe I should look from another view…

I had my first experience with the downtown post office today.  I received a card here on campus saying that a package had arrived for me down at the main office.  Knowing stories from other people who lived here last year and stories from others around the region I had in mind what to expect. I had my money and knew that I may have to go to several different places within the office to retrieve the package.  I walked to the first window, held up the card, he pointed to another window.  This man took the card and handed me another card… luckily there was a girl who spoke some English standing there and she explained where to go next to pay.  I got there successfully, paid and then went back to the original window.  Signed a few forms, and was given the package.  Now I knew that mom had to take things out of this particular mailing because according to the US post people it was “swollen” and could not ship that way.  The package I got was SO swollen it had tape and plastic cords around it… my thought was ‘man my mom is a good packer… these guys couldn’t get it back in!!!’   Way to go Mama Bird!
 






The next stop was to get an extender for the end of my adaptor… I forgot that piece in the wall in the hotel in Zagreb… very sad day.  I knew they were available, just not where to get them.  Leaving the post office, 15lbs box (US POSTAL SERVICE all over the outside of it) in my hand… I started going store to store walking back in the direction of campus.  I had brought the adaptor along so I could 1. Use it as a prop for my charades I was going to have to play and 2. If I found one, to ensure it would fit.  The game of charades began… the first place I stopped had 3 males, all spoke good English, all knew what I needed, none knew where to find one…  next place, only smiles with nods “no”…. next place an apathetic look with more “no” nods… I walked almost halfway back to campus (remember I was carrying this box that had US all over it and totally stood out…)  finally a store with lamp fixtures all over the walls and a wall of electronic type trinkets. There were two guys and between them they found what I needed, tried it to make sure it would work, and said 2 English words the whole time,  Thanks and bye. 

Very successful hour!  Mail, adaptor … all by myself- WHAT A DAY!!!

Lizzie came tonight to visit for the weekend from Bitola!  I am so excited to spend some time with her.  I am sure we will have some adventures to share in the next few days!

No comments:

Post a Comment