Day 111 and 112 - 12/31/11 1/1/12


The city of Skopje!
Skopje Christmas Tree
Photo opportunity in the Center

Getting to spend New Years in a foreign country was nothing short of a great experience. I was in Skopje for the New Years celebration.  Lizzie, Cassidy and I went over to some of Cassidy's new friends in Skopje's house. We spent the evening there with a good sized group of people. There were of course things that are the same as home, and things that are different.  Similarities included: fireworks, being with friends, hugs on new years, good company, cheering when it turned to midnight.  Some differences: no Time Square's Rockin New Year on TV, the traditional "New Year's Kiss" was not present, no counting down to midnight.  Although I noticed the absence of those traditions that I know from home, I didn't feel like I missed out on New Years. We got to meet new people, see new traditions, and ring in the New Year in a way I will never forget.  
Lizzie and I
Cassidy and I
We are heading to Slovenia for a week- and I will be without my computer, so it will be a few days before I post again- but I KNOW that what I see in Slovenia will be worth sharing!

Lesson: A new year is the beginning of new hopes, new dreams, new ambitions... Here's to 2012!

1 comment:

  1. Interesting similarities and differences. I'm glad you had a great time! :-)

    ReplyDelete