Day 250 - Sunday - 5/20/2012


After 249 days, it was finally time to see my family.  I can not believe how much time has flown since January. This second semester has gone so quickly. I have finally started to feel like I live here in Tetovo, I know my way around more, I have to ask less questions and I am pretty independent.  It is a great time for my family to come and experience and see where I have been and what I have been doing since September.

They arrived late late last night, but this photo above is the first one we took out on Erin and Cassidy's balcony when we woke up that next morning!  Monday was to be our first jam packed day. We started by driving to Matka, a canyon just outside of Skopje. I had not yet been there during my time here so this was special for many reasons. Erin joined us as well. Mom mentioned how much of the scenery reminded her of parts of Wyoming. I think I may have been too young the last time to fully appreciate it, but I feel as though I have been given new eyes.
Walking up towards the canyon
Where the water comes out of the canyon
Walking towards the dam and canyon. With Erin!
The ladies!
The canyon
The church at the canyon built in the 1300s
Riding the boat to the caves
Riding the boat to the caves
Riding the boat to the caves with mom being silly!
Inside the cave

Following Matka we traveled to Siricno to a restaurant called Delfin. It is where Vesna took me my first weekend in Macedonia, so I knew that it was a place my family had to see as well. We had a traditional Macedonian meal with family style salads, cheese, grilled bread and french fries with cheese followed by a big meat plate. OH MY it was so delicious!

It was off to Tetovo after our big meal. Our first stop was up to the Kale on the hill. It is a place I have gone to several times, but getting to show the family was special. It was a great first stop because it gives a view of the entire city of Tetovo and further! This was also the first ruins (of many) that we were going to see. My family is so well versed and cultured with experiences, but not with first hand experiences abroad. It was so awesome to get to be with them as they began to experience with their own eyes this history they know so much about.


Cass at the Kale!
Mom and I at the Kale
Mom and Dad with the city of Tetovo behind them

The evening brought a very special dinner.  Gezim and Saranda from the American Corner took us to Vrutok for fresh fish. Arianna, Saranda's sister and my student also joined us. We had amazing company and a wonderful time. For me it was so special to introduce my family to the people that have come to mean so much to me and then introduce the people that have become a part of my life to my family. It was an evening I will NEVER forget.

Traditional Macedonian Salad- family style
Lesson: Sharing things with people that mean the most to you, helps you realize how much these things mean to you. 




No comments:

Post a Comment